03-19-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
Medal
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I think as time goes on it will definitely impact the sales of fine watches.

As the separation between income groups grows bigger and bigger, and the next generation matures, I expect the next generation to have much less interest in mechanical devices.

Less interest in restoring old cars, or boats, less interest in "low tech" works of art we call fine watches, with new technology moving so fast it's hard enough to stay up to date.

I'm middle aged and still appreciate almost all things antique or retro, and definitely love and appreciate nice watches.

The next generation won't be able to read and write cursive, or tell time from anything but digital displays.
I hope not and thats our job as a generation that the importance of "mechanical" items are not lost on the next generation. I'm 31 and within the last few months picked up a Omega SMP 300m ceramic and no matter how techie i get or my family gets, I have two "mechanical" items that will not be lost on my kids: fine watches and older cars, specifically my 69' Camaro RS/SS with a 572 chevy crate engine that I will build in my lifetime.

Technology in watches like this android and vehicles like our BMWs are without doubt absolutely amazing and I LOVE them, but there is something special and different that needs (should) always be appreciated in items like fine watches and older cars
Appreciate 0