View Single Post
      05-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #41
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hz101 View Post
Does anyone know if the ride quality will be more stiff, less or the same in the M2C? I sold my M2 because I thought it was too stiff as a dd for my commute.
Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
There was also some conflicting info regarding the suspension. This is what was stated in the EVO article.

Surprisingly spring and damper rates are unchanged – M chief Frank van Meel said he wanted to improve precision without sacrificing comfort. The dampers are passive items, because ‘the car doesn’t need adaptive dampers’, according to van Meel, although cost is also a factor.

I asked about the suspension in this thread to which MR stated the following.

Tag: The EVO article states the following, "...while at the rear the M division has used ball joints in the suspension for greater stiffness and precision." Can you please expand on this?

MR: There is less roll in the vehicle while steering. The base M2 had this quite a lot. The car stays more flat and is more compliant on the road without loosing comfort levels. The package is not as hard as the M2 with M Competition suspension. The suspension is further tuned to enhance the ride quality.

And then there's this article from Autocar UK which falls in line with what MR said.

BMW M division’s head of development, Dirk Häcker, said the chassis revisions provide the new M2 with “significantly improved response and more progressive on-the-limit characteristics” than its predecessor. “We have altered the steering mapping, changed the spring and damper tuning and recalibrated the DSC [Dynamic Stability Control] systems as well.“ said Häcker. “it is still the benchmark in its class in terms of response and reactions, but it now slides with greater progressiveness and enthusiasm.”

I would like us to get further calcification on the suspension as well, but wouldn't go as far as saying FvM lied. At a minimum he either didn't understand or was not fully informed. The takeaway from this is trust the engineers that designed the car over management and/or marketing.
Appreciate 1
hz101171.00