Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post

1. Cerakote vs. VHT. Pros? Cons?

2. Why aren't more people pulling off the exhaust and painting it off the car? It would seem to me that would be an easier solution than trying to mask the car, clean/prep while laying on your back, etc?

TIA--

R.
VHT is an easy cheap DIY. Cerakote is a whole different ball game intended for small items and it's expensive. And its more of a smoked gloss finish which would draw the eye. The matt finish of VHT is what makes it "invisible" at a glance.

Exhaust off is a 2 man job with a lift. Or at least a major PIA at home.

Agree it's a better job off the car, i did mine when i had an aftermarket exhaust on the car. Before i sold it and put the standard one back on...
There is no need to take the exhaust off if you want to just paint the visible muffler.

As they say, don't let perfect get in the way of good enough.

I didn't even take off the diffuser. I did remove the tips, taped up the diffuser and carefully sprayed all the visible areas. It's not a big deal or hard...

I did clean it well with a brush, alcohol and made sure it was dry. If it comes off a bit, I'll touch it up... but honestly I don't think it will, the rear muffler is pretty well protected. You need to paint the tips portion though, so I removed them and got knock off carbon tips. That area needs to be black or it stands out.
Attached Images

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0