Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
that's the actual race car you're posting. The road going 3.0 CSL was far humbler in appearance. Totally different appearance. There were options to make the road going CSL a bit more "accessorized" which brought it closer to the race car but still less outlandish than the racing version although much more chromed! Lol
I'm well-aware of what I posted, and it doesn't change what I said one bit as the road going versions of the 3.0 CSL (3.2L models) from JUL 1973 onwards were delivered with the bodywork to comply with homologation rules (just not physically installed from the factory due to road regulations).

It's pretty well-documented from all the witnesses and commentary from that era that the E9 CSL became known in popular automotive culture as the "Batmobile" due to its aero.

Ostentatious aero on a CSL would only be considered sacrilege if you confine the definition of "CSL" to the E46 only, but that perspective is sacrilege in itself because the CSL badge has much deeper origins, as a race car and BMW Motorsport GmbH's first model.

So while you could say overall that most E9 CSLs were not sold with the aerodynamic wings, my point here is that big wings are neither foreign nor contradictory to the CSL moniker.
Should the [future] M2 CSL necessitate more aerodynamic bodywork, it would be a welcome feature and I wouldn't find it to be disrespectful or not in-line with CSL lineage (in terms of appearance).
Oh I agree but your photos are misrepresentative.

The street cars (barring a few racing clones) looked very different. They even had a "city pack" option to make them more luxurious. The homologation cars used the same engine and overall technology but didn't match the race cars exactly (cosmetically) in terms of aero and body styling accessories.

The M2 situation is different anyways because there's no direct M2 race car the street car is being based on...