View Single Post
      08-22-2019, 04:18 PM   #123
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I'd say BMW is as good as competitors when it comes to design, luxury, tech, etc. The 7-series is lackluster, but the rest of their portfolio is right there with the competition if not better. Where they are getting killed right now is in EV development. They are way behind the curve and failed with the i3 and i8.

But I agree that the driving dynamics are gone. When I have a family I'll certainly likely be getting a BMW SAV, but until then only the M2 would get my dollars as it drives as a BMW should. These rest of their vehicles are very competent but totally sterile to drive until driven at the limit. You used to be able to have fun with a base 328i or even X5 around town at legal speeds. Drive an F15/G05 after an E70, or G30/F10 after an E60, G20/F30 after an E90, etc. and they won't even feel like they were made by the same company.

I feel akin to a Rams or Chargers fan who had part of their soul/identity snatched from them. BMW has totally sold out on us.

With all this being said, Porsche is guilty too. It seems like unless you blow a lot of $ to get the souped up versions, their vehicles are also somewhat watered down for the masses.

Last edited by Germanauto; 08-22-2019 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0