03-27-2019, 06:55 AM   #92
XRAVE
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAVE View Post
I should change my wording, most, not everyone. Maybe you think the S55 sounds better but most don't. I would say if you found key words on the internet for the M3/M4 it would be bad sound. With a simple JB4, you can add 60 HP to the wheels with no other mods. I agree heat soak may become a problem but more so on a drag strip than on a track. A FMIC would fix that if power was really what your looking for.

My main point was I think BMW had to go with the S55 from a finical perspective and if they had their choice would have stuck with the N55. Usually when the make a comp model, they keep the same engine and add little to no extra power. Why would the spend money to rework the N55 again rather than stick the S55 in from the beginning? They could hav easily detuned it further and removed some of the cooling to be around 370-380. I don't agree it's not to compete with the M3/M4 because it already competes with the N55 in it.

Engines and specifically sound I think are a big selling point of a car. Look at the E92 vs the F80. There are a lot of factors but I'd say a majority say, the 8400 RPM V8.
A JB4 won't add 60hp at the wheels to a S55 using straight gas and definitely won't add 60hp at the wheels to the N55.

A bigger intercooler will lower intake temperature but cannot alleviate heat soaking caused by the overworking turbocharger and from the engine accumulating too much heat because of the extra power.

Sound preference is personal and I understand why you prefer the N55 and the S65 V8 is a no brainer. Though most of the people who disliked the S55 acoustically are N55 owners so I am not sure if the preference is fully impartial. 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' is a common phenomenon.

I would argue that BMW M actually preferred the S55 on the M2 because it is an engine fully developed by the M division. It makes sense to have standardisation. That is, M model only uses M engine.

On the OG M2, the S55 was given a hold by the marketing department because it might dent the marketability of the M3/M4 at the time. Now there are no more S55 M3s and M4 sales are slow anyway, they are more interested to have the M2C to fill in the void before the next M3/M4 appears thus the hold has been uplifted.
You need to look at some Dynos, you can gain a lot of power from a simple tune. Maybe not exactly 60 but at least 40 and there is for sure a lot of torque gained. In regards to heat soak, these engines experience it in terms of intake temps, not overall engine temp. S55 uses air to water inter cooler which completely eliminates the heat soak but a FMIC would definitely help the N55. I had a 135i awhile back and heavily modded it with the JB4 so I know a lot about the platform.

You seem to be someone who is into straight line speed and drag racing cars which is perfectly fine and understandable why you prefer the new engine but I would say most bought the M2 because of its handling and experience and not to drag race it. I also owned an F80 M3 and even when I owned it, I thought the engine sounded terrible. Before the M2 was even released, people hated the sound the S55 made. I'm sorry but you need to be realistic and agree the majority of people dislike the sound it makes. When they announced the M2C with the S55 I thought it was a terrible idea, well before I even considered buying one.

I still don't agree the reason they didn't put it in wasn't so it wouldn't compete. Like I mentioned, they could have easily detuned a bit more to 380 if that was their concern. They also released the M2C when the M4 still had over a year left of production. If your theory of not competing is true, they won't be putting the S58 into the next gen M2. The 1M also used an engine that wasn't M exclusive. Do you think the engineers wish they had access to the S65 at the time? Does anyone who owns an 1M wish it had the power of the S55?
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0