06-02-2020, 07:27 AM   #271
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dgr84 View Post
Is there a way to make the S55 sound decent?
Is Dinan the smoothest?
n8

Depends what you mean by ‘sound decent?’

Do you want it to sound like a NA engine/exhaust . . . that is the holy grail most everyone is after, but is not happening with any turbo, S55 or otherwise.

Do you want a ‘louder’ and ‘throatier’ version of the S55 exhaust acoustics. They all seem to capable of producing such acoustic outcome to different degrees . . . including degrees of drone that everyone likes to refute exists in ‘their system.’

I chased the holy grail in the past and the closest I ever got was the AWE Track exhaust in my Macan Turbo . . . still, ‘closest’ remained a LONG way from the holy grail.

After owning several turbo vehicles I have come to the conclusion that the most appealing ‘sound’ actually derives from the engine itself; not the exhaust. For example, turbo spooling and the whine of a wound engine, as opposed to the wail of a NA engine. The wound S55 engine actually sounds pretty fantastic in my opinion. Better than the wail of a 981 GT4 or Shelby GT 350? No way!

If allowed, turbo acoustics can become quite appealing and enhanced with little tweaks that promote air intake; can be as simple and relatively inexpensive as quality air filter placement. Again, chasing exhaust acoustics through aftermarket offerings produces ‘louder output’ that actually drowns-out the turbo engine acoustics.

Acoustics preference is as subjective as taste, so trying to tell someone what they will like is futile. The only objective statement I have made is that turbo engine and exhaust acoustics will never equate to those of a NA engine.

Subjectively, I have grown to embrace and enhance turbo engine acoustics. What ‘sounds decent’ to you could be very different and achieved through an aftermarket exhaust option.

Good luck in your search.

///AVM

Last edited by ///AVM; 06-02-2020 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 3