View Single Post
      09-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #1
MINI135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C and 2013 FR-S

Impressive M2 track performance

This car out of the box is very good on the track. Very impressed!

Swapped to track pads, changed to race brake fluid, and installed a schroth quick fit harness as these are givens for any significant track time for me, that's it. Left the pilot super sports on the stock wheels to get a feel for what the car can do in stock form.

I have driven a lot of different BMW's on track over the years and this M2 is the best car to go from street to track that I have ever driven from BMW. Most of that statement is due to the inherent balance of this car. Usually I am fighting major understeer on most street to track cars, especially with staggered set ups. Not with this car, the balance is so good, I am completely surprised! Oh, and the new limited slip diff is amazing. Compared to the diff in E92 M3, this new one is so much more refined, it feels like it is working for you at all times, instead of the on/off nature of some of the older diffs from BMW. Love it!

This M2 does everything better (other than engine sound, and revving to stratospheric heights, ha,ha) than my previous E92 M3 in stock form. M2 top end is good for a turbo car. Revs freely all the way to redline, and although torque falls off up top, I feel no need to shift early because it just keeps revving! I owned a 2008 135i (n54) and 2011 135i (n55) in the past and this M2 engine is so much better at revving to redline. And of course the suspension differences are night and day.

Although a big fan of the car, not so much a fan of the pilot super sports for track use (fine for street). They limit the cars potential for sure on the track. Heck, I'm thinking I'll just throw some wider re71r's on these stock wheels and call it good once I burn up the pilot super sports, the car is that good!! (And I am somewhat lazy with my track prep these days).

Here is a track video of the M2 with a cheap mic mounted on the bumper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMpxKficShM

And the only thing the E92 M3 does better, beautiful naturally aspirated V8 sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmmtxvy3wzc

Last edited by MINI135i; 09-19-2016 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 10
omasou2089.00
rjn43.50
CAVU150.50
BAN_M2C4185.00
Prollig118.00
dcmac443.50
CrashFL137.50
Karlosm2c290.50