09-28-2020, 08:34 PM   #106
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Funnily enough the owner did mention the short comings of the BM3 GTS DCT tune and how it was always trying to go to the highest gear as quick as possible. Looks like the stage three needs to be customised to use manufacturer shift points as the stock map is way too aggressive in auto mode.
Hi guys,

As you said we probably should have a separate thread for XHP. That video is of my car and I'm the one driving.

I've had XHP on the car for a week and a bit now. I'll summarise my broad feedback on both the GTS and XHP (so far). However whilst I'm an enthusiast I'm probably not as particular or attentive as some.

GTS Tune
I put the GTS tune on as soon as I put BM3 on about 2 years ago, so I can't remember much of the original gearbox tune. What I recall is that the GTS tune always tried to shift up as early as possible in comparison to the original tune that held gears for longer.

The GTS tune also doesn't change at all based on driving mode. The speed of shifts, downshifts etc. were the same regardess of comfort, sport, sport plus, 'traction' mode and DSC off.

With the GTS tune I primarily drove in manual mode so I really liked that I got the quick shift speed regardless of mode. I'm also not a big fan of burbles but like them on occassion. So I'd primarily drive in comfort (i.e. no burbles) and then reserved the sports mode for when I wanted to turn off DSC or have burbles.

The GTS tune was terrible for launch control once I went above OTS stage 1. It just launched too aggressively and resulted in too much wheelspin.

Otherwise I loved the GTS tune. Shifts were nice any punchy and I didn't mind the sedate automatic mode because on the odd occassion when I'd use it I wanted these early shifts anyway.

XHP
I primarily got XHP for the launch control customisation. I had no problems other than this with the GTS tune, but as I'm now running full E85 it was just way too aggressive for the power.

I dislike how XHP changes the character of manual downshifts and upshifts based on driving modes. Per what I said above re burbles, I don't always want to have to select sports mode to have a nice downshift. Apparently XHP are looking into this.

Comfort mode (manual)
Downshifts with no throttle are mega slow. I'm talking 1+ second from click to shift. It doesn't blip the throttle, it just slips the clutch with a small amount of throttle input to rev match, when it eventually shifts. It's way too sedate for me.

Comfort mode (automatic)
It's similar to the GTS in that it's always trying to select the highest gear. Shifts are much smoother though. I didn't think you could get any smoother than the GTS tune but they are. I personally didn't mind the mechanical feeling of the GTS shifts though, so some may like this and others won't. It can probably be dialed up with torque punch etc.

Sport modes / DSC off are good with XHP. Sport automatic is nice and the gearbox is pretty intuative with shift points and holding gears, though I still preference selecting my own gears when I'm pushing on. They are bloody quick and smooth shifts though and it's nice to be able to dial in the torque punch etc. that you want.

Launch control is a thousand times better with the ability to select lower RPMs. I'm still playing around with settings to figure out what will give me the smoothest and fastest launch but it's much better than the stock launch control which just goes full send.

I hope that answers some questions. Feel free to let me know if you guys have any other specific questions.

In terms of recommendations, I think based on cost etc. that I'd probably only recommend XHP to those that are at least stage 2 or above. Any less than that and I really don't think it's worth the cost IMO - just because of how good our gearboxes are from factory.
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50