View Single Post
      07-12-2022, 03:51 PM   #110
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykken View Post
To add, I initially had the aFE drop in filter and the air scoop after reading this thread. The sound was subtle enough with no drone but it was relatively quiet in my opinion. My car is stock.

After about a week, I realized that I wanted more intake sound and went with the CTS instead. Install was relatively simply and had no issues aside for my cracking one side of the clip for the vacuum line (PITA to get off). I did have to discard the wire cover but I'm not worried about water getting in since I don't pressure wash my bay.

The volume and sound is just right for me, in comfort mode there's very little noise from it unless you really romp on the throttle. However in sport+ mode...anything over 3K rpm is like heaven, on and off the throttle. No CELs, sharper response.

Looking to do the diverter/charge pipe/intercooler next
do the inlet if you haven't - it's not a drastic change, but you'll actually feel the difference, especially at top end.

Just to repeat what I posted here:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=34

Most of the gains from intakes are from typically increased surface area of the filter, some from the larger diameter tubing. There are diminishing returns, and for our cars its namely the stock turbos smaller turbine becomes less efficient at higher RPMs, so the intake isn't the limiting factor, it's the turbo. On the stock F Series airbox, the gains are mostly from airflow potential - Instead of being CFM limited from the small inlet, a M2 or actual open filer intake allows greater flow from not limiting the total available airflow.

So typically, (and especially true with an inlet) when you add an intake, most gains are going to be down low, where the turbo flows the best, and can take advantage of the increase filter surface area. This is why most intake dynos show massive gains down low.

When you do an inlet, you're effectively increasing the turbine size, and that's why there is a small gain at High RPM. If I have time, I wanted to plot a few runs in VD from thejeremyman9 Pre inlet/intake and post - just to show the difference in recorded power. Even though we are on load based tunes (the base tune is load based) for whatever reason, removing restrictions allow the car to make more power for the same given load.

TL;DR -
Stock turbo will outflow the stock F22/30 airbox
Larger inlet allows you to take full advantage of the turbo
Open intake has no airflow impediments and will (especially with an inlet) flow better than the stock airbox.