Rep
Drives: '18 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Hmmm…

I’ve 5 different intake setups on the car:

With the stock inlet/DV:

BMS
Dinan with the M2 lower intake (this is important)
M2 lower intake with the AFE filter

Of those 3, the Stock M2 airbox was the best in terms of drivability and power. The Dinan was my least favorite, it had an inconsistent tip in throttle and power. I think a few people have logged it to actually lose power. The BMS I remember being pretty rough on cold start.

Then I added a Divertervalve (Turbosmart) and MST inlet - this sharpened the cars throttle response, increased power and decreased turbo lag.

Adding an inlet/DV will make any intake more effective. With the new inlet and DV, I ran:

M2 lower with AFE filter
Stock F22/F30 airbox with AFE filter
CTS Turbo

The stock F22/30 airbox was measurably the worst performer. It was extremely laggy and down on power. It would take me driving in SPORT to get the same response as I could get on the M2 airbox in normal.

The M2 box is the intake I logged the most time with and was nearly flawless - but the CTS from a ‘performance’ perspective is better. It gave even sharper throttle, more low end torque and what feels like a slightly more top end power.

Power comes on stronger at tip in throttle and at WOT, I’ve noticed that the car doesn’t ‘drop off’ as much at higher RPM. It also sounds pretty good -but I think the BMS from what I remember actually sounded a little better. However If you don’t like diverter valve noises, the CTS isn’t for you.
To add, I initially had the aFE drop in filter and the air scoop after reading this thread. The sound was subtle enough with no drone but it was relatively quiet in my opinion. My car is stock.

After about a week, I realized that I wanted more intake sound and went with the CTS instead. Install was relatively simply and had no issues aside for my cracking one side of the clip for the vacuum line (PITA to get off). I did have to discard the wire cover but I'm not worried about water getting in since I don't pressure wash my bay.

The volume and sound is just right for me, in comfort mode there's very little noise from it unless you really romp on the throttle. However in sport+ mode...anything over 3K rpm is like heaven, on and off the throttle. No CELs, sharper response.

Looking to do the diverter/charge pipe/intercooler next
Appreciate 3
MASHCT698.00
AmuroRay2355.00