View Single Post
      02-26-2017, 07:07 AM   #44
MerlinPurple
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB

In comparisons to my previous car ( E46 M3 ), the M2 gets oodles more attention wherever I go. Which is a shame because I loved my E46, only hardcore enthusiasts would know what they were looking at.

Yes, LBB makes it quite noticeable but the M2's design language also plays a role. I say this because I sometimes see peugeots and citroens in similar 'turqoise' colours that are instantly forgettable.

Here are some encounters I recall since taking ownership:

RS3 Hatchback
On the day of collecting the car I'm on a road that splits into two lanes with the traffic lights on red. Left lane has 3 cars waiting, right side is clear... I go right and pass a nice RS3, then I realise "oh great, here we go". Sure enough the RS3 driver knows what he's looking at and begins blipping the throttle aggressively. With the car being new (and not run in) I ignored him. Then, lights go green and I head off. He turns left and almost crashes into a parked car because he was too busy gawping at the M2 lol.

Young Driver Approves
The next day at the same location, I await at the lights in the right lane and on my left a car pulls in up in my fringe vision. I begin to suspect the driver is trying to get my attention so I look around and I'm not wrong. This guy literally has half his body out of the window waving at me. I wind down the window and he's complimenting the M2, it's the first one he's seen and desperately wanted to hear the exhaust. We left at the lights both smiling - nice chap!

Audi Drivers
In general, I get most 'noticeable' attention from the Audi crowd. There is something about the M2 that just gains their interest, I've witnessed it time and time again. The car is also very popular with younger drivers. I guess with increase in car culture (youtube etc), they know exactly what it is where as they wouldn't seem to show any interest for my E46 M3.

Cold Reception
For the most part all reactions have been positive, the only time I've sensed any negativity or hostility is with some F8x M3/M4 owners.
Appreciate 0