View Single Post
      12-09-2018, 01:27 AM   #12
Muffy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Hi Specka,

Good to see someone using their car as it was intended .

Phillip Island

Best track in Victoria by a mile. I do Phillip Island track days roughly every month with Longroup. I have tried Drive Events there too but for me it was not as good as Longroup. Longroup caters mainly for wealthy people with exotics looking to stretch the legs of their Ferraris, McLaren's and Lambos BUT there is a very good reason to pay more to join this group even if you are not in their league finanically - the cars on track are so expensive there is a genuine respect for everyone and VERY strict rules for overtaking. Essentially if you are not signalled you cannot pass at all. It makes the days stress free in terms of collisions with other vehicles. It costs $800 each day, you get 7 x 20 minute sessions plus a decent lunch, access to 3 x pro racers as instructors and there are a maximum of 20 cars on track at any time. The days are tied into shakedown days for proper racing teams so you see GT3 Cup cars testing and also other race cars and open wheelers when not on track yourself. In 14 months I've knocked my times from 2.03 to 1.52 and expect more when my new tyres go on - this is practice and tuition not tuning FWIIW.

Back to the collisions - there is another cheaper option via Drive Events ($395) - they were good but they do not really enforce overtaking rules and every bogan in their 440wkw HSV slows you down the entire track then just races off when they get to the straight By turn 2 you are repeating the convoy for a wanker who ignores blue flags... Not at all satisfying.

This leads to people taking silly risks and on the last Drive Event day I got 2 laps before a Honda Australia "executive" rolled a Type R Civic at turn 2. Session over. Then next session a Renault Megane Sport Cup 260 hit the wall after turn 12. Session over. I managed 14 fast laps all day and about 5 clear of traffic. With Longroup I get 40 laps minimum, up to 48 laps, most are clean. Suddenly that $800 is a bargain. So, if your budget allows, go Longroup. There is a day 14th December and my spot is vacant as I cannot go due to work. Try calling Luke 0418 882 264 for more info if you are interested. PM me if so as I'll need to say I referred you as they don't usually take bookings without referrals.

Sandown

Driver Dynamics run good days and while the overtaking rules are not as defined nor as strict as Longroup it is still pretty good. I've only done a half dozen as I much prefer the island, but it is still pretty good.
Do not book via Adrenaline, you can book direct and save $100. It works out under $400 and you should get enough sessions to enjoy the day. You also can get your L2S CAMS licence free as part of the booking here. The track layout helps too as the front and rear straights help with passing slower cars. Good instructors too, and nice guys.

Winton

My least favourite as it is a slow speed, twisty and technical circuit - plus 2.5 hours from Melbourne - but hey any track is better than roads, you just won't likely get past third gear...

For Winton I just booked directly with the track ("test and tune"), it was cheap, about $195 from memory plus $140 motel and parma dinner. The big issue with this track is that it is hard to pass safely and you will almost certainly get 70% of your laps in traffic.

Anyway, good luck with it all. I recommend you get Track Addict app before you go as it is a very good reference and you can record video with speed overlays, get pretty decent lap data etc. If you get serious, there are three essential buys:
1. Schroth Quickfit harness. There is no M2 version but the E90 one fits. Clips into existing seatbelts, one bracket to fit that took literally 5 minutes.
2. Pagid track pads / fluid upgrade as you will get brake fade on stock brake pads.
3. Good tyres. I have Cup 2's and they are brilliant for road legal tyres.

Cheers,

Muffy

A few photos from last Longroup day (is there an easy way to upload, this was painful):

Appreciate 1
specka71.00