MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by j23 View Post
You said I'm the first one you ever heard of. Yet, there's no shortage of people who prefer the BMW shifter on these forums. Even the guy's post above mine alluded to the same. So yes, you're making nonsensical generalizations.

Did you survey 99% of manual drivers? - You didn't. So stop generalizing and pulling imaginary stats out of your arse.
I know lots of manual drivers, not only limited to BMW and 100% of them say S2K shifter is the benchmark , period. BTW BMW manual cars are not known for their shifters , i am glad the M2 is such an improvement, rest of the BMW stock shifters suck and need SSK to even come close to a S2K quality . Therefore stop comparing with BMW drivers only and look out and do more study and research. And yes you are the 1st one i heard that doesnt like a S2K shifter or maybe you dont know what its really driving one
S2000 shifter rocks! - period! This coming from being an owner of 2021 M2C, 2008 S2000CR, and 2006 S2000.

Any time you sit on top of the transmission and the shift lever goes directly into the transmission without unnecessary mechanical linkages, engaging gears is absolutely direct and precise to the fullest extent possible. No amount of modifications in the M2C will provide the direct feel you get driving an S2000.

I recently spoke to Ron at Auto solutions. In our conversation, even he commented that replicating the transmission feel of the S2000 in the M2C is difficult at best. He referred to the difference in size of the transmission where the S2000 is so much smaller. Incidentally, there's a reason why all of us are talking about augmenting our transmissions with auto solutions SSK or other short shifters. The S2000 requires nothing but maybe your own personalized shift knob.

There are many reviews and comparisons even today where so often the S2000 shifter is figuratively the benchmark, particularly how precise the S2000 shifts and very few cars even shift as well. That's saying something considering the S2000 is twenty-years old today. Listed below are recent reviews.

https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/28...dster-showdown

"....Honda drivers will also be rewarded with a downright legendary shifter (more on that later) but the verdict is clear.....It's well-documented by now that the Honda S2000's manual shift action is one of the most satisfying experiences of modern motoring. It's oily, metallic, and comically short. It feels like a wartime weapon and leaves no ambiguity as to which one of the six cogs is currently hooked up to the rear axle. It's as good as they say, and a clear victor here."

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...d-test-review/

..."the tranny has six gears dedi­cated to keeping the engine spinning, and the shifter feels oh-so-sports-car perfect."

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...photos-values/

...."high-revving, manual-transmission sports cars, buyers are realizing how great the S2000 was for its time and still is today."

Putting all of the reviews and comments aside on comparisons with the S2000, I can offer personal ownership experience of almost 15 vehicles which were mostly manual. None of the other and in many cases more expensive vehicles remotely resemble the feel and connection of the S2000 manual transmission. Additionally, I've driven expensive cars as well including Porsche 911, Porsche boxster S, Acura NSX and a few others and still the S2000 transmission shifts reign supreme. The only thing superior for some M owners is is rev-matching, which the S2000 never had. I personally enjoy heel-toe driving but it's nice to have rev-matching. The S2000 shifts are quite possibly the best experience you will get in a proper performance sports car of modern times.

Another compelling reason for why other manufacturers have not designed something better is probably the focus and advent of dual clutch transmissions. Manual shifting is a dying technology and unfortunately they are not going to put money into engineering something more precise due to lower customer demand and use. An exception to this is Porsche, who continues to give us on the shifting experience in manuals and still offer top-notch PDK dual clutch transmissions.

I understand the S2000 is not everyone's cup of tea but drive one back to back with another manual and you immediately can tell why it's so highly regarded as a proper shifting manual.
boss2k1090.00