View Single Post
      01-29-2018, 12:24 PM   #38
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

I don't think it's a case of broad Japan-bashing. This forum has some well-educated and experienced members who know their history, and they appreciate how Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Datsun etc. changed the automotive landscape. Without the efficiency, refinement and QC punches to the mouth that these companies dealt to the big 3 in the late '70s, early '80s, who knows how badly and for how long the American auto industry would have gone off the rails. The Honda Civic and Accord (not to mention the Toyota Celica, Supra and Corolla and Datsun 240) changed everything, and forced US manufacturers to take a long hard look in the mirror.

I think it's more a case of design struggle, and it's not just the Civic R. There is such a thing as going too far as Lexus has discovered:

https://jalopnik.com/is-the-spindle-...les-1822300581

Look at the new Toyota Avalon, of all cars. I personally think it's ok, but I wouldn't be shocked if in an attempt to lower their average buyer age they end up with everyone saying the front of the car looks like a baleen whale.

And I know exactly where DETRoadster is coming from - I appreciate that Honda is at least trying, and I hope they continue to push the envelope. But with this design...I would love to have watched Honda's focus groups to see which demographic they studied and how they reacted. I'm not a "millenial", so you guys tell me, is this the car that millenials told Honda they really wanted?
Appreciate 2
ZPrime611.50
TripleU170.00