View Single Post
      08-11-2020, 01:26 PM   #61
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

I'm going to question the turbo thing... My twin scroll setup in the F30 is going to be way worse in comparison based on everything I know about the technologies (the boost pressure differences may change this a bit, but I'm skeptical), and it's one of the least laggy turbo setups I've driven overall. I think BMW does an amazing job. Unless you are short shifting the car under 2k there is little to no turbo lag. I've never felt drop between shifts that would be resolved on the shorter shift time of a DCT over a manual. Additionally, people forget what it's like to drive NA cars where you have no torque or build of power until high in the power band and what progressive power feels like, and the few times that you are a bit off boost the progressiveness is very much like a solid NA motor. Honestly, it's hard to tell the car is turbo'ed 98% of the time other then the fact it is way overtorqued at the low end. Frankly, from a physics standpoint I question the point - turbos spin at such high speeds and have so much momentum that the exhaust gas off time difference between DCT and manual is not going to have a material effect on performance unless you are taking one hell of a pause on shifts, and I don't hurry my shifts.
2014 Cayman S

Last edited by sdhotwn; 08-11-2020 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0