03-28-2020, 01:07 PM   #18
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Thanks for the track suggestions, I'll keep them in mind but I'm not taking my M2, that came with the same design of calipers as a 228i to the track, so I will come back another color.

They're inadequate for such a task, regardless how you slice it, IMO but we'll just leave it there..

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=18153545
That’s an awfully definitive statement from someone who has no track experience.

A few thoughts from someone who actually has a fair number of track days in his M2;

-Paint is cosmetic and shouldn’t be confused with a functional deficiency.

-Regular 2 series uses the same caliper but with a 1 piece rotor.

- I personally have 30+ days on track with the stock calipers, and after a pad and fluid swap, have no trouble getting through 20 minute DE sessions.

- IND has a vested interest in all of us finding aspects of our cars inadequate. They’re in the business of selling us cosmetic and mechanical upgrades. Sometimes more is just more. All they show in the thread you linked to is that aftermarket brembo uses a bigger pad.

-The Alcon brakes you posted earlier appear to be using a steel rotor, not the CCB you claim is a necessity for a track-ready car.

-Powder coating will discolor too. Anodizing is more heat resistant, but is not as corrosion resistant. That’s a trade off an OEM has to make for a street car.

-CCB OEM replacement rotors are $4,300, vs $300 for OE. Show me the ROI somewhere for CCB over steel brake rotors please.

-Cooling ducts we’re easily and cheaply added
Appreciate 0