03-26-2020, 12:10 PM   #14
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Then again, I've been autocrossing since 1975 and track driving since 1981, so my internal evaluation meter is likely calibrated a lot differently than the average M240i owner.
I think this is really important. People like you and I are outliers when it comes down to it. Most would jump in the M240i, note its speed in a straight line and then note that it doesn't fall over in the corners like an SUV. They'd then note that the M2 is perhaps a bit faster in a straight line and that it also doesn't handle like an SUV.

Your average non-enthusiast is going to come away thinking both cars are fast and both cars handle well. Even the diff that 5Monster called out, isn't going to make a big difference to most people.

It's really only in the last 10-15 percent of the performance envelope where things go from night to day. And it's honestly not an exaggeration to say that. For people used to driving their car close to and occasionally beyond the limits of traction, the two cars are very very different.
Appreciate 0