View Single Post
      03-20-2020, 08:46 AM   #1
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Miscolored calipers? How I got new ones for free. Twice.

M2 is marketed as a car you can take to trackdays, it has instructions in the car manual what to do before trackdays and it even has in the option list when buying it a trackday/speedlimiter-lift option. So it's a bit of a let down when the calipers can't take the heat and can go green/brown if you do actually take it to trackdays and use it fully as intended. Even BMW's own BMW Experience M2's at Bilster Berg have miscolored calipers...

I've had M-cars before and have been to trackdays for over 20 years, so when my M2 calipers went dark brown I contacted BMW and said is your intention that this should happen and what are your thoughts? After a loooong time they said we'll swap out your calipers to new ones without cost. I replied that that wouldn't help, they'll just get miscolored too. I offered a solution that they'd give me the set of new calipers without mounting them so I could continue on my brown ones until I wanted to sell the car. They refused that and I let them change the calipers thinking it's useless but what can I do. Two trackdays later they were brown so I went back and said this is not okay on a car that YOU say is for trackdays. The reply was we are not going to do anything more about this. Soooo, I went to the Swedish Allmänna Reklamationsnämnden ARN which is a state driven customer rights "court" that rules on issues between companies and private customers. Their rulings though, they are always only recommendations but if a company doesn't follow their recommendation there is a black list run by another customer organization that keeps track of these cases.

So ARN then ruled in my favor with the recommendation being "solve this issue permanently". So then I was offered yet another change of calipers.... duh! I said that's useless, they'll just go brown. Nope. This is what we will offer you. Being stubborn I didn't give up, telling them the calipers will obviously go brown and then I'll just drag them to ARN yet again and we are back at square one to "solve this permanently" both spending a lot of time and effort. So, after a total of 2 years and 3 months they accepted giving me an extra set of calipers without mounting them.

TL DR

State driven Allmänna Reklamationsnämnden ARN recommended in my favor that "the issue should be solved permanently".

So in addition to getting my calipers swapped out (which didn't help obviously), I also got an extra set of brand new calipers that I can put on the car when I want to sell it.

Some documents and pics:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
gphung193.50