View Single Post
      03-10-2020, 02:09 AM   #45
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
This is very interesting indeed... but also surprising. The spring sits inboard of the damper (and bump-stop) on the M2 and most other cars, which would suggest that it compresses less than damper. If the damper is already on the bump-stop at rest before lowering, the springs will be doing almost nothing. The bump-stops on modern cars are designed to be somewhat progressive, and a bit like a spring in themselves, but it doesn't seem right to be driving around on the stops.

RealOEM shows that the M2 has the same shorter bump stops as the M3 and M4, but different springs and shocks. If what you're saying is true, there really isn't any valid reason to fit lowering springs on the rear without addressing the bump-stop issue.
What I was told is that M2 stock suspension at stock height has approx 10mm of compression before contact with the bump stop. I was responding to/questioning the suggestion that lowering 10mm will improve handling when in fact doing so effectively leaves no room for further compression before the bumpstop comes into play.

I'm currently stock and on our country roads at speed it's not hard to bottom out and sometimes the rebound is violent enough to throw me out of the seat. Makes life interesting when you're using the steering wheel to both steer and hang on to, and legs to both brace yourself and shift gears! I've bought some Ohlins R&T which apparently fix the rear suspension issue.

Possibly the M3/4 shocks allow for more travel before contact with the bumpstop? I don't know.
Appreciate 0