View Single Post
      02-19-2020, 06:49 AM   #18
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mee2 View Post
I came from a 2010 135i (N55) to a 2017 M2 and its honestly in a different league despite the similar chassis architecture and base engine. For reference I had a manual 135i and a now have a DCT M2.

There were a few things that really bothered me about the 135i; firstly the chassis bushes, everything from subframes to engine mounts to suspension arms are so insanely soft I felt like I could feel the whole car squirming underneath me whenever it was driven fast. This was amplified when I fitted coilovers and stickier tyres. Secondly the steering really wasn;t what I was expecting. the ratio was so slow that it really ruined the handling of the car for me as it would take so much lock to correct any oversteer that it put me off driving the car over the limit. There were a few other things that bothered me such as the poor spec (only myself to blame for that one) and also lack of width for decent size wheels and tyres.

To the M2; what a machine! BMW M really know what to do when it comes to chassis engineering. With everything carried over from the F80/82 platform the chassis is quite spectacular in its communication and responses. The squishy bush feeling is non-existent and the rear axle feel in particular is excellent and really helps when driving the car out of a corner just on the limit of traction. Secondly the engine and gearbox combination is an excellent combination for the road. The later generation N55 in the M2 feels like a completely different engine that that in the 135i; so keen to rev and much better sounding. These things when combined with the much wider track for proper size wheels, tyres and brakes make for a formidable car on the road and track without any modification at all.

Take from that what you will but comparing a non-M car to proper M car, well there really is no comparison if you enjoy the sensations of driving. An M2 will blow your mind after a 135i.
Finally someone that can truly qualify my own concerns and feelings about the 135i in words... I could not have said it better... people forget that it was a car built around runflats and the moment you changed them out, everything had to be upgraded... also the steering rack was indeed super slow.
Appreciate 0