View Single Post
      05-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #35
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Haha and then get a ticket for using my phone? Not thanks!

To expand on that funny story:

Had a cop car just hanging at the Timmies beside the gas station as I was fueling up. They dished out two tickets that day:

- Ticket #1 went to a guy using his phone while fueling up his car, which is illegal;

- Ticket #2, and by far my personal favorite ticketing moment, was given to a lady using her cellphone while going through the Tim's drive-thru. We have a zero-tolerance law for cellphone use, and she was technically driving her vehicle while on the phone. Two minutes later, $350 fine.

She did try to argue it in court and made a big social-media mess out of it. She lost pretty much instantly when the judge asked her: 'Were you operating a motor vehicle' -- 'Yes', 'Were you on the phone while operating said vehicle' -- 'Yes but it was in a drive-thru' to which the judge followed up with 'Were you operating the vehicle, as in it was moving, with your foot on the gas pedal?' -- 'Yes'...so he upheld it and now it is precedent setting.

Technically, you will not be using a phone while fueling because the pump does not have the automatic feature (you will be taking a picture of a car with the pump stopped!)

On that note, is it illegal in NB to use a cell phone in a gas station? That would be really annoying...