Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
I find this interesting because I cannot think of a place more unsuitable to get car advice than from two women sitting in a barber shop.

I have only owned 6 BMWs and I have found them to be pretty reliable. My M6 has only left me completely stranded 2 times and that actually necessitated an engine replacement due to the rod bearing issue and the other time was for an SMG pump replacement.

The 2, 5 Series were fantastic with the first one being a true representative of the BMW performance ethos while the second just had no joy about it. It was really amazing that two nearly identical cars drove so differently.

Now, the E63 M6...OMG! To quote Jezza, 'It's like stepping on a bomb!' If ever there was a car that enjoyed being exactly what it was meant to be, it is that car. It makes no apologies for being a complicated machine that does exactly what it is supposed to do. A ham-fisted driver will get more negative feedback from the SMG as well as risk a snap spin of the car if pushing really hard. If you can't handle it, look elsewhere. Perhaps that nice 650 will be a better choice for you?

The 328d? 31K miles with only one niggling problem...the horn does not blow full strength all the time. Annoying, yes. Debilitating, no. Oh, and don't forget 36 mpg in town and 50 mpg on the highway. (My real world numbers.)

The much misunderstood i8? I jumped in it and drove 1000 miles without a second thought. I have exactly no Ferrari or Lambo owning friends who would do that. None. Zero.

BMW makes a great line of cars that are extremely versatile and yes...reliable. Please put them in their proper context. The SMG/DCT pump replacement for my buddy's Ferrari was far north of $5k...for my M6, covered by warranty. Similar performance totally different outcome in pricing and reliability.

Comparing BMWs to Hondas and Nissans is ludicrous. All of my MBZ owning friends complain that they cannot leave their $tealership for less than $500-750 per pop on maintenance. I would not trade any of my BMWs for this nightmare.

Cheers-mk
Appreciate 2