View Single Post
      07-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #26
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
I hope BMW will slot the M2 to compete more with the Cayman(S) than the 911. Yes, Porsches are very different cars than BMW... but that aside, the M4 does match up more to the 911 than the Cayman (numbers, prospective buyers, etc.) That leaves room in the roost for a car that slots against Porsche's "driver's car"... the one that may not be their fastest, but drivers love the way it handles and feels on a track.

The M2 is the right car for BMW to build to address this segment, as it is will fill a void in their current lineup... one that many of us are seriously lamenting. With its wheelbase ~5" shorter than 3/4 series cars, the M2 will have a different feel than the M4. Presumably it will be appreciably lighter (and more nimble?), with less power as well. I'd expect it to be less GT/luxury-focused, but still retain the core creature comforts that many of us (even if we don't want to admit it) have come to appreciate. I doubt BMW will build it to lay down the fastest times around the 'Ring, but I have high hopes that this car will be their ultimate daily/track car... practical and livable on the street, capable and fun on the track.

In my opinion, the best thing BMW could do is build the M2 to be "BMW's answer to the Cayman S" - light and impeccably balanced... quick, sharp and precise with tenacious grip... but with the most desirable/practical of the M4's creature comforts to ensure that it sells well and is an enjoyable daily driver road car.
I absolutely agree. Considering how good the M235i already is, the M2 stopped me from buying an F80 (ok I exaggerated, the S65 did too). Having driven the M4, you could tell M went out of their way to make that car stiff! And the brakes are amazing too.

If they went out, and added those elements to a 2 Series, the M2 will sell like hot cakes. Not to mention that if they can have the car start at low $50k, it'll undercut a Cayman S by a pretty damn good margin!

In terms of power, I don't even think I'd care if they literally plopped in an N55 with no mods. It's got more than enough power. Wide tracks, low center of gravity, as light as possible without blowing the budget... and some nice colors. That's the perfect recipe for me. Instead of getting an F80, I'd absolutely consider getting an M2 and keeping E36 for the same price (more or less).
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0