View Single Post
      06-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #24
lbahoshy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2014 Carrera S, 2023 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
It's simple to value a car based on how "fast" it is, and manufactures get rich because of consumers who think this way. How much more money does it cost BMW to make an "is" version, or Porsche to make an "S" or "GTS"? The answer, as least as far as the engine is concerned, is essentially nothing- software changes are free, and it would probably cost Porsche less to manufacture and federalize only "S" motors rather than offer nine different normally aspirated motor combinations from the same family.

While it might cost them less to make them all fast, however, they would undoubtedly make far less money, simply because consumers don't blink an eye spending thousands more to get the "faster" car. The fact that most customers can't use or even notice a 10 hp difference, or that it's within manufacturing tolerances so some customers don't even get the faster car they pay for, makes very little difference. If you want to know how Porsche can average over 20k profit per car, look no further.

There is a problem with this strategy, however, when it comes time to actually use the car in the US: cars are simply getting too fast. Today's sedans and SUVs are faster than yesterday's sports cars, and can be used to their full potential for a matter of seconds before risking your license on public roads. Trying to use today's hypercars is an exercise in frustration and self-restraint. Sure, you still get bragging rights and a feeling of occasion, but ever increasing potential is paradoxically leading to ever decreasing opportunity to enjoy it.

Cars can't go on getting faster forever, however. People are the weak link. In the 70s to 80s race cars essentially stopped getting faster, because their drivers could no longer endure or control them, and rules have strictly limited increases in pace ever since. The fastest street cars are not much slower than yesterday's race cars, and quickly approaching a similar point. In practice they may have essentially already reached it: how much speed you can reasonably use in US when not on a track?

Where do we go from here? Do cars keep getting quicker, and our ability to fully enjoy them keep going down? Some cars certainly will, because in reality many don't really buy cars to exploit their abilities anyway. Others, however, will choose a different path. When SUVs and sedans are just as quick, sports cars will be separated by feeling and involvement. And raw speed isn't the key ingredient in either of those.

BMW likely knows this- they stick with rear wheel drive and adjustability, even if 4wd might now be quicker. Their greatest drivers cars have never been their fastest, but they have always been the most fun. Soon this will be even more true, and I look forward to the day when the goal is firmly on involvement and fun. I personally won't be surprised if in a decade the real drivers cars are relatively slow compared to ever quicker 4wd SUVs, etc. I know which one I'd buy...

Pete,

Best post I have read in a long time.

Very well put and agree with everything you said!

2014 911 Carrera S, Agate grey, black int, 7spd manual

2019 M2C, HKS, 6 spd Manual. (Sold)
Appreciate 0