Tiss'er
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LBB LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiss'er View Post
Interesting. Having owned my M2 for just over a year now I am getting the itch to try something new. I'm a bit late to the car game so my experiences are limited to an Audi RS5 and the M2. If there is anything I learned from the Audi is that a car is far more than just the motor. However, the current crop of American V8s are very appealing. I have been looking a Camaro ZL1s (non LE versions as I think the LEs are hideous) but I just can't get past the interior. I think the ZL1 is a very nice looking car and it's hard to argue with the LT4 in it. The chassis is amazing too.

Even before cars had my attention, a Shelby has always been something I dreamed of. Looking at the GT350 I'm pretty floored by the exterior build quality. Panel gaps are bad, assembly of the rear bumper is consistently inconsistent, and the motor looks like a rats nest. I understand it sounds amazing, but lots of owners are experiencing motor issues, and frankly a Camaro would wipe the floor with a GT350. And then there is the whole NA thing. As you mention, NA motors may be more exciting at higher revs, but honestly the M2 in the 3-6k RPM range pulls nicely and consistently. I just got back from a trip on the Devils Highway which is considered the twistiest road in America (estimated to have 550 turns in 100 miles at 4-9k feet of elevation) and the M2 is just pure heaven here. 3rd and 4th gear almost everywhere with plenty of acceleration when needed.

I often think about a Camaro or GT350 in this area and the larger size and heavier weight would actually get to be tiring in this environment. Not sure I would enjoy it as much.

After all of this there is still something attracting me to these cars.
I think it really depends on what car you're coming from, and how/where you use your car. I came from a Mustang GT to the M2. So it feels lights, small and very nimble and with perfect balance of under/oversteer. But not as exhilarating, it feels slower and not as existing above 65mph and doesn't sound as good. And the power band on the 5.0 was better. Peak tq was low, and HP kept bulding from 4000 to 7000 and throttle response was better too.

The Mustang was less like riding a horse, and more like breaking one. You had to be a skilled driver to maximize it at the track. The M2 is easier to drive near and at the limits, and less scary. The Mustang would try to fling itself sideways for any reason and you had to be on top of it all the time.

Coming from a GT the GT350 is a step up in every way (minus low end torque). It handles way better, it has more top end, magnaride does a great job and it feels a lot flatter.

But coming from an M2 I think you would always miss the light on it's feet feel of the BMW. It is a smaller car and that's hard to make up for.

I'm a track rat, so I don't mind keeping the revs high. On the track you are hardly ever under 4000 rpm anyway.

Around town I'm not sure. Less torque is less fun. My GT had loads of torque down low and that was a blast on surface streets. 2nd gear was a blast.

But yeah, difficult decision. I still think a 500hp NA V8 in a M2 chasies would be the perfect car.
Yep, I seem to fall more on the balance side of the equation. balance is something I think the M2 does excellently. Small, lightish, plenty of power. The other car I have significant interest in is a Cayman GTS. Smaller and lighter yet than the M2. Our roads and tracks here are very tight with little if any straights. A big motor wouldn't be beneficial here.
Appreciate 0