View Single Post
      11-29-2017, 11:04 AM   #471
backmotor
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral gray M2 DCT

Garage List
I have always hated automatics, but before I finalized my order for my M2, I asked many friends (car guys) of all ages, but mostly in their 20-30's, what they thought would be better in the long run, and was surprised that every one without exception said go with DCT (even though they drove manual trans. cars). I figured I could still manually shift the DCT and it would be the same as a MT without the clutch action for my left foot, so it would sound like a manual (if I lifted off the gas while shifting, like you would with a MT), and I could dictate what gear I wanted to be in and stay in. Plus the traffic issue would be available when needed by going into Drive (automatic) mode.
Then at a race, Bill Auberlen (race driver for the Rahal-Letterman BMW team) told me without a doubt to go with DCT. That clinched it. I have no regrets and would do it again. But I DO manually shift most of the time, just for the action of controlling what gear I am in, and for the sound. I have a seven-year warranty just in case something goes wrong with all the technology, but so far (3500 miles), DCT has been perfect. (I DO have a 911 for race tracks and have not yet had the M2 on the track, but am thinking I will put it in Drive for track driving, at least when competing, but may change my mind once on the track for the first time with the M2.
So... I'm for DCT now! (and I have always hated automatics! Go figure!)
Appreciate 0