09-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #24
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Sadly that hasn't changed in the new GT4 and will never change. I understand Porsche wants to create distance btw the 911 and the Cayman/Boxsters but why do that at the expense of completely ruining one aspect of the driving experience? Watching videos of people rowing through the gears of the GT4 is painful and ridiculous to see how high they are geared.
Porsche claims that they physically can't shorten 1st and 2nd gears in their transmission in addition to not wanting to spend the money to develop a new manual transmission just for the 718 4.0 cars. They primarily design their cars for their home country where performance at 150mph+, cruising RPM at 100mph, etc. are important on the Autobahn so they wouldn't want to change their final drive ratio.

Here in the US, if I got a GT4 or more likely a GTS 4.0, the first thing I would do is install the Autoquest final drive mod to shorten all six gears by 19%.

I've driven plenty of 981 GT4s and my overriding memory of them is wishing they had more of a feeling of acceleration in-gear and would rip to redline more rapidly, aside from this I don't have many complaints.
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50