08-14-2020, 02:23 PM   #107
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
True. But pretty light compared to the track monster that the ZL1 is so it's all relative. Would be interesting to compare center of gravity and unsprung weights between M generations though as that makes a huge impact. Also of interesting note, the M2 is ~8% heavier and runs about 8% more section width on tire than the E36.
You bring up a point in here that has me question whether weight is the metric for which we should gather all the salt? Can heavy cars feel nimble? I stand in the "no it cannot" and "heavy track monsters require a track to be fun." camps.

My miata was fun "go kart" feeling. Was it more to do with the size or was it the weight. Both? It felt like it was on rails. Arguably if you add enough grip to a heavy car it will take corners quickly as well. My f-type feels very large and not nimble, but if I toss it into a corner it holds. It's just not very confidence inspiring. Would a 3500lb miata still be fun due to it's size?

Is weight not the issue but the distribution of weight, and center of mass? Would a small 4000lb car with a low center of mass and well distributed weight feel nimble/fun/small? Think small heavy electric car.
Appreciate 0