08-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #17
bernstem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
Given the current size of the BMW models (bigger and heavier) they need to be build an ultra street version that has track DNA. The M3/M4 are just too long and heavy to be the ultimate driving machine image. EVO Magazine showed recently that the lighter less horsepower 911 is a faster track car than the M3/M4. The secret ingredient of suspension and less weight makes the truly best sports car.

If BMW was to build the M2 with only 375 HP, but upgraded the suspension/handling and get the weight as close 3000 lbs as possible then they would have a serious driver's car again. Go one step further and follow Porsches upcoming lead and make the Z4M as light as the Porsche 718 for the ultimate sports roadster. That way you leave the all the other M cars in a category of their own while creating a new one.
I would very much like to see this, but we won't. The M2 will be handicapped just like the Cayman is so that it doesn't step on the toes of the M4. The fact that they aren't putting the S55 in it proves that. Maybe I will be wrong and they will make an amazing light, fast coupe that kills it on the track, but I think what we are going to get is a slightly better feeling, performance limited M4 in the new M2.

That doesn't mean I won't buy it, but it could be more. Of course, the M235 is already so fast that its limits cannot be safely explored outside a track. The true M cars are that much faster and approaching their limits outside a track environment is even more criminally irresponsible. Even so, I'll bet less than 50% of all M cars ever see a track. Makes me wonder why people who don't track them buy them.
Appreciate 0