View Single Post
      08-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #43
aspensilver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540I E39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
We are on an enthusiast board. Do you realize how many non enthusiasts who have no idea what they are buying still buy M cars? Just because the enthusiast crowd would want the CF roof, doesn't mean it will have one because the business types will have to weigh its cost and the change in MSRP that it would add will affect overall sales.

BMW is a business as far as I know. I know there are some what I'd call not so business minded "purists" out there who seem to think otherwise. But that is the reality of it. An added thought too... if anything "purists" should celebrate BMW building more and more SUV for "regular people" so they can fund lower margin cars like the M2 (I woudl guess the M2 given its likely lower volume and different configuration will not make them a lot of money).
I agree SUV production can help with the bottom line these days and put more R&D into good shared power trains. I do think it has however brought in buyers overall with cushier tastes.

BMW certainly is a business and they should also follow their bottom line, but they do need to keep their luxury/sport image up. It is starting to erode which Joe Shmoe does read in car magazines, in casual articles or around the watercooler. You can't ignore enthusiasts forever and still be thought of as the enthusiasts' choice amongst luxury brands. If they lose that core image it could damage bottom line. I think they know this and that's why you saw the M235I, so hopefully they go all out with the M2.
Appreciate 0