RIP_MKVI
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C / 2023 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
Jeez Louise, guys! Here's my stylized take on this thread:

1. OP posts something funny on the forum for all of us to enjoy. Obviously, OP and his wife have fun and she has provided him with something funny for his birthday

Given all that, I read that hilarious birthday card, and what it says is, "I love you, honey, and I know that deep inside you very much want to make lots of cool mods on your car, but for whatever reason, you're holding back. Don't hold back. Have fun."
This exactly! I wanna thank everyone for your concern of my well-being, but you guys are taking this way to seriously.

A little background of us:
  • - I work in wealth management industry and my wife is a CPA. We both contribute our fair share to household income.
  • - We purchased our home in early 2019, and welcomed our first-born child later in the year
  • - Given our professions, we are sensitive with numbers, good at budgeting, saving and investing to grow our wealth
  • - We are not rich by any standards, but we set up financial goals and have been exceeding them each year since we got married

By reading through the posts, I assume most of you are not married nor have kids. When I was single in my 20s, I could care less about future, I spend all my earning then some into cars. Saving? Never crossed my mind. All I cared about is how to make my cars go faster, looks cooler.

But when I got married, when I started to bear the weight of 30-years mortgage, when I hold my first-born in my arms, my roles changed and my mentality changed with it. We call them live-changing events for a reason. They change the course of your life, the way you think and your priorities in life. I knew I must take on the responsibilities of a husband a father and be smarter about money.

Make additional mortgage payment each year to paydown principal and save future interest accrual. Max out our 401K and individual Roth IRAs. Planning for retirement. Diversify our investment portfolios. Pick the suitable insurances. Set up education fund for my kid. All these things that I never cared about are now essentials of my life. Although I am still a car enthusiast I am a husband and a father first. I must make sure my family have a bright financial future. Now with that in mind, owning a sports car? Not a smart decision. Dump money on modifying that sports car? Needless to say.

When my son was born, I seriously thought about selling my M2C. Not that we need cash, but I knew I could put that money somewhere else and generating cash flow, instead sitting in garage and depreciating. But my amazing wife stood firm on keeping the car. She is not a car person, she tells cars by their color, she knows this is a money sucking machine, but above all, she knows how much I love the car and she supports me on this 100%. I am grateful for her support. Now that she “allows” me to spend more money on modifying? This is the best birthday presents to me.

You guys are saying oh I make the money and I can spend it on whatever I like, don’t need no one’s permission…Not that my wife makes as much as I do, even if she’s housewife, she would still have the equal say in any decision making in my opinion. I feel like once you formed a family, you should have only one goal, to thrive as one. To achieve this goal, there will be sacrifice, compromise in each party, but there will also be support and understanding from one another along the way.

Now, most importantly, I need to plan on how to use this “allowance”
Appreciate 7
cbmmm3318.50
dtmurf480.00
Hankdoll135.50
AdonM3121.00