View Single Post
      10-15-2020, 04:43 PM   #42
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1500Z View Post
This is great . Let me see if I can answer these in a concise manner.

Do you run DSC on or off
I ran all last weekend in Traction (Euro MDM) mostly to make sure I didn't do anything stupid but also because I was running those old Contis. I may transition to DSC off in December.

What are you looking to get out of your track time right now
Goals: I want to be in the high 2:30s and then progress to advanced group — I think this achievable with my current setup. But I also want to work on consistency, and having fun — even though I was struggling with grip, the car was a blast moving around a lot and staying relatively neutral.
Absolutely achievable with a decent tire setup

So both of those can really go together. Ultimately running DSC off is faster & imo a lot more fun. I really liked this tire progression when I first started -

Slow, durable tire with MDM on - I really liked the Dunlop Direzza ZIII here. Consistent grip, long lasting, and very friendly breakaway & recovery characteristics.

Slow, durable tire with DSC off - stayed on the ZIIIs until I was completely comfortable with my car control & ability to recover. The friendliness of the ZIIIs made this transition pretty smooth imo

Not as slow, still fairly durable, and very consistent (DSC off from now on) - made the jump to NT01s. Increase in speed over the Direzzas but still are fairly friendly. What I really like about them here is that they don't grease up too bad and they stay extremely consistent throughout their lifespan to the point you can actually turn your fastest lap on that set when down to the cords. Really helps having an extremely consistent tire when still new to DSC off - don't have as much of a moving target of grip degradation when working towards finding the line.

To me from this point it's where ever you want to go from there. Stickier RE71s might be it, maybe the NT01s, maybe something else, or maybe you really hate money and want to get into the real sticky stuff.

I'm definitely not saying this is the best or only way to do it - just that I feel it really worked well for me. Easier to learn to find the limit, go over it, & then get the car back with slower, more forgiving tires. A lot of people have done it with faster tires though so can certainly do that too - just think it slows down progress.

Also wouldn't recommend COTA as the first place you turn DSC off since the traffic there is typically pretty gnarly. Somewhere like Cresson, or Harris Hill might be better suited to start that process. Also Driveway Austin has (or at least did have a couple of years ago) an excellent car control class that I would highly recommend if you haven't done something like that before.

Sorry CrashFL for the thread jack
Appreciate 2
bentom2335.50
CrashFL137.50