08-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #75
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Ok so you're attributing distractions to accidents? If that's the case should we not do something to force people to focus on driving rather than taking the driving task away from them making it easier to text or watch a movie? If only there was a way to occupy all their hands and feet in the act of driving.

Today we might be on a path for driving automation but that could change. I suspect after a few unintended deaths (already one on the books from autonomous driving) that we will take a step back and take a look at our infrastructure, which will need major work to accommodate.
Of course I want more focus by drivers and I also want to win Powerball. But we can't pass strong enough laws or enforce laws we have to effectively prevent distracted driving. We can't even get all people to stop driving under the influence. Do you really think looking at phones and human error are limited to drivers of automatic transmissions? Isn't the best solution for drivers to pay attention + have safety nets for when human error occurs? They should not need to be mutually exclusive. The most likely outcome over time will be increased safety measures and eventually the elimination of driving privileges altogether.

IMO, there is absolutely no winning an argument that increased difficulty = increased driver engagement = less accidents for the general public. So I guess we can agree to disagree.
stefan2354.00