View Single Post
      07-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #11
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Its not the oils fault its Subaru's fault as the tolerances they used to develop or manufacturer those engines were out of spec (there is a class action lawsuit against Subaru right now for this issue).

I have a friend that bought a brand new 2014 Subaru Forester. I'm the only one changing his oil and I have noticed the car burning excessive amounts of oil. His car only has 40k miles. At 4000-4500 the low oil light comes on every time now. Once the light comes on it takes 1 entire quart to fill it back up. He changes his oil every 3500 now. Last oil change I put in little bit thicker 5w30 oil to see if it burns less oil.

I have a 2012 Honda CRV (purchased new). 50k miles on it so far, and it does not burn any oil. I'm the only one changing the oil as well so I check the oil level before draining, always at the full mark. This car requires 0w-20 oil like the Subaru does.

Yes 0w is extremely thin but I have faith that manufactures can develop a good engine that uses this oil.
Same situation with my friends 2014 Outback. He's got 140,000 on it though and has not been very pro-active in getting it resolved. I had a 2011 with no issue and suggested he get an Outback this time.

It just seems like a bad concept if they are trying to make engines that can use thinner oil in order to meet EPA requirements and this is the end result.
Appreciate 0