Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
I'm quite familiar with the track, sort of surprised it was *There* but I hope this is a lesson to most about the big flop that the 2 series in its current form is as a chassis.
Short wheel base and high torque mixed with its absurd weight means you have big moments of low traction as you transition from front to back. Apply that torque to early and you will quickly learn.
The old V8/V10 from before the turbo days is simply a better platform with the smooth growth of the torque from the anemic low RPMs.
anyway. I meant to say that the M2 is squirrely from its fundamental design, and the M3/4 is simply better.
Not blaming or shaming the driver. These things are inevitable with track driving, just sort of annoyed that BMW didn't give the M2 the focus it deserved and it's a sloppy drive, (which can be fun I suppose but not fun on the ring or a real track). The first badge car imo. The history M, this M2 is especially bad but few understand it enough to see that.
Jesus what a load of bull crap. Yeah the M2 likes to get sideways, just like any car with a lot of TQ and a short wheelbase. Thats what makes it fun!!!
With my standard M2C I can keep up with some dedicated track cars and stock M3/4s all day. Its all in how you apply the throttle. Is it more challenging that a torqueless wonder engined car? Yes! but that is fun and challenging.
Anyone buying an M car for lap times is a fool. A westfield, radical, or other trackday ultralight will run rings around everything but the most modded of factory cars.
Here is me last Monday. Car is in DSC full off, and I can easily catch slides. I am by no means an expert driver (this is a full 3.7 sec off the pace a pro set on the same track in a stock M2C).
I had fun in my brief time in an M2 from a road car point of view.

but my point still stands that it's simply inferior to the M3 because it's skiddish temperamental driving style is simply slower because it lacks weight saving measures to bring the weight down.

It's simply too fat for its size. I too am familiar with tracks and torque and throttle but were not professionals and mistakes happen, even at the highest levels in racing. The difference is you might not be driving home if you make a mistake with the throttle in the M2.

Also, I know caterham blah blah, but those have different problems. They're 60s designs. And while they have the low weight to go fast they also require a 60s driving style, and that's not for everyone.
Appreciate 0