09-11-2019, 06:12 AM   #26
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
5G isn’t widespread enough to be useful in any meaningful way. It’s s like having an 8K TV and you can only watch the in store demo.

Expandable storage is pretty useless with cloud services and the ability to dump pictures and video via lightning to a computer.

USB-C again doesn’t really change anything.

FaceID is better than TouchID, honestly.

Not trying to make this an argument about features thread, but I laid out the case for 4 features that Apple could implement to give many people a reason to consider the iPhone, without alienating its existing (and loyal) customer base. It's about options. To counter your points:

- Sure, 5G isn't widespread right now. For the price, shouldn't Apple be pushing this technology? Because it's usually true that whenever Apple implements a significant feature in the iPhone, the industry usually quickly follows to integrate that feature, Apple CarPlay and Apple Pay being 2 recent examples. I see no reason to keep this at the status quo.

- Expandable storage is pretty useless to you. I can make the same argument that I don't need cloud storage because I have expandable storage locally on my phone. I actually prefer this route, because it's still the fastest way for me to transfer media between devices, rather than uploading/downloading from the cloud. And I don't need to pay a subscription service to do it. Again, different philosophy, but it's about having options. One doesn't invalidate the other.

- USB C absolutely does change things. If it didn't, Apple wouldn't have nuked all ports on the Macbook Pro for them, and now the iPad Pro has a USB C port. Having continuity in the entire lineup would have been nothing but well received. Nobody really complained when Apple switched from 30 pin to Lighting, or switched the iPad Pro to USB C due to the benefits both provided. I expect the same result if the iPhone made the switch as well.

- Face ID vs. Touch ID is subjective. Personally, the notch doesn't bother me, but I would greatly prefer notchless with an in-screen fingerprint sensor. Or have both. A lot of people weren't happy when Apple got rid of the Touch ID sensor. But now when the competition can do it, Apple can't really make the case that it's for form factor/bezel elimination anymore. My cousin's sister can open her iPhone X with Face ID. They look nothing alike. Again, about options.

Instead, Apple gave us a better camera and processor with claimed power optimizations and battery life. Isn't that par for the course? Aren't those the 2 things that basically need to be checked every time a new model is released? You may disagree with my points, but in my opinion, for the price Apple is asking for these flagship models, they could have tried a little harder this time around. It's not even a "S" year.
Appreciate 3
RickFLM410954.50
Red Bread4463.00