View Single Post
      11-21-2019, 05:15 PM   #48
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyXM View Post
I am glad someone mentioned the hood lines! This is a design trick to make the eyes wander as you approach the car. Toward the middle, it breaks up a large, boring, flat sheet of metal - to not look like a 70's Lincoln Continental. While, toward the fenders, rounds them to blend and make look wider. The inner to narrow and outer to widen - especially when sharing chassis's with other models... molding body parts around a chassis and power plant is MUCH easier than making unique chassis/model... Gee, who else shares build components with BMW... Not rocket science folks. But a few simple grips on a forum are not going to change billion dollar corporate forecasts...
I thought the hood line and shape did two things, to control air flow from tumbling over around the A-pillar for noise and drag and streams air over the windshield onto the back window and trunk and it helps control deformation in pedestrian impact in regards to the engine block - also why they use plastic and foam engine cover (which can be double- used for noise suppression).

The Mercedes CLA I think has similar hood design elements.
Appreciate 0