View Single Post
      11-01-2019, 01:21 PM   #63
Blue_M235i
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Estoril Blue Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
I had only to go to service only once so far (rear camera software update recall), they keep change stories about whether I can do it on Saturday then once drop off story went from pick up same day to Monday, had to call the guy called me about the recall to ensure I could pick up same day, though other than that I suppose it was fine...
Long response here - so for those not interested in my service center experience, please skip this post. Or skip to the 'meat' of it in Blue.

clee1982This was my experience with my Z3 convertible at Manhattan - I filled out their survey with very detailed responses and received a generic automated reply from the center operator asking if I was contacted by the service team and if my issue had been resolved. I replied to him and corporate with the following email :

A quick background on myself - I am a Program Manager at a Fortune 100 company. I'm responsible for Process/Program improvements for Customer Service/Customer Experience, so I have a unique perspective as a customer and a care owner.

No, I haven't been contacted. All in all I think the lack of responsiveness and follow-up by BMW of Manhattan's Service Dept. is awful.
I will outline my experience in a moment, but wanted to mention as I look at your corporate website 'BMW Introduction' something that is sorely lacking on where it has 'its sights set'. " the BMW Group has its sights set firmly on the premium sector of the international automobile market. To achieve its aims, the company knows how to deploy its strengths with an efficiency that is unmatched in the automotive industry. From research and development to sales and marketing, BMW Group is committed to the very highest in quality for all its products and services."
No mention of customer service anywhere. Does BMW group also aim to provide a superior customer experience?

I understand your 'Service' department is related to servicing a vehicle and not the customer, but small changes in customer service could really make a BMW service customer a lifetime customer.

I'm going to set forth what the 'Customer Experience' is for someone bringing in a car to BMW Manhattan for service from my experience.

I called BMW to have an annual service and inspection done on my car as I do every year. Normally I'm able to get my car in within a couple of days for service, but in this case the service department was really busy and the earliest available slot was just over a week away. No problem.

I brought in the car and spoke with Mike Solomon, my Service Assistant. I've been working with Mike for years, so the usual chit-chat about how the car is running, the 'service engine light', and the light hearted conversation about his kids and what-not.
I've always liked Mike. Even though our BMW is a 2001, we keep it in great condition and only 35K miles keeps it running like new. Mike always made me feel good about our vehicle and has never pressured me into purchasing additional services. He offered up some things in the past, but was honest about what was necessary or not. I've learned to trust him through the years.

Next I authorized drop-off at my garage, provided a pre-authorization to run my Amex Card for any charges, and I'm told the car won't be completed and delivered until Friday. I had absolutely no problem with that, and was actually very happy with the prospect of having my vehicle delivered back to my garage. That is a new service.

Friday evening I realize I haven't heard from anyone about the status of my car. I call my garage and they tell me the car hasn't been delivered. I call BMW and no one has any idea. The Service Center is closed for the day, but I can call in at 8AM to get a status.
This is where things go wrong.

First of all, Sat morning I had plans. I was planning on using my car at 7AM, but knowing that wasn't possible now I changed my plans. I called BMW at 8 AM on Saturday morning. It took me 2 hours to get anyone on the phone who could give me a status of my car.
2 hours!!! At one point one of the women who answered the phone told me I have to call back as the service center doesn't open until 7:30AM. I had to laugh because it was already 8:15AM. I have her name, but this is about overall experience and not just one person, so I'm not going to provide names unless you really want them.
So, around 10:15AM I got a call back telling me I can come pick up my car… it's ready.

Just so we're tracking - the car was supposed to be delivered on Friday and now I'm being told I can pick it up on Saturday.

Recap:
Issue 1 - no call about my vehicle status on Friday.
Issue 2 - car wasn't delivered on Friday.
Issue 3 - when I rang BMW I couldn't get a status on my vehicle until Saturday morning.
Issue 4 - when I rang Saturday morning I had to waste 2 hours of my time to finally get someone to tell me the status of my vehicle.
Issue 5 - I have to pick-up my car instead of being delivered.

Let's move on...

I walk over to BMW and arrive around 2:00. I have a bill of $289 for services rendered… so I tell them to just use the Amex they have preauthorized. Well, apparently they don't have the pre-authorization. The response I get is 'it's probably locked away in Mike's desk drawer and he's on vacation'. I give them another credit card and pay.
I get to my vehicle and look over the receipt and find out the work wasn't even completed. The only work done was the 'Spring Checkup' but the Inspection wasn't competed and the Check Engine light was still on. The receipt says (among other things)
Check Engine Light Is On - Check and Report - 'ADDITIONAL WORK ADVISED - REPAIRS OR SERVICE DECLINED'. (See invoice 765401 or I can scan you a copy).
"Car Needs Coils" "Customer Needed Car Picked up Car No Work". NY State Inspection "No Work Performed" "No Work Performed Customer Needed The Car".

Now I was furious. I just went through issues 1-5 listed above and now I paid $289 for an oil change (since no work was done). WHEN was I ADVISED and WHEN did I DECLINE the work? I wasn't ever contacted.
I work from home and have 3 phone numbers on file. I missed no calls from BMW and have no messages. I never 'DECLINED' the work. That would require actually speaking to someone.

I went back into the payment area and asked for an explanation. Steve was there and explained that someone called me and that the engine coils were bad on my car and needed to be replaced. I told him no-one called me, and if work was advised I would have done it. He said they left me a message. I told him there was no missed call and no message, and that still doesn't mean I declined the work.
He asked me to take my car and he'll set up an appointment for me to bring it back on Monday. I refused. The car was already there, why would I take it home for a day and then turn around and bring it back? I left the car there.

Monday Morning I call for a manager. I speak to Joe Rocker. I explain the scenario - he apologizes and then puts me on with Steve Mandala who told me the first diagnosis regarding the engine coils was an error and that was someone else's vehicle.
This leads me to believe the decline of work was probably related to that customer as well.
Then he tells me I need an exhaust cam sensor and front control arm bushings because mine have rot. I accept all the work, but make sure they don't charge me a second time for putting the car on the lift. This is granted.

No one calls me back with a status. I call BMW at 4:00 on Monday afternoon and find out everyone has left for the day and I can't get a status on my vehicle. Just for good measure I call my garage and the car hasn't been delivered.
I left a message to please be contacted in the morning.

Tuesday I get a call back and am told the car is ready and will be dropped off at my garage, I just need to provide a credit card number for the charges…. again. I explained I gave them an authorization already, but again I'm told they have no idea where it is.
Nice to know my Amex card info is floating around at the BMW dealership with a signed authorization…
I provided the details - Steve gives me 10% off for my troubles $1400 paid and that's how the story ends.

I'm surprised I never got a call from someone proactively on status of my vehicle. No one called me even when they knew I had expressed dissatisfaction. No one followed up with me to see if everything is OK now and to make sure I was satisfied after the continued debacles.

Let's recap the next set of issues:
Issue 6 - lost credit card authorization
Issue 7 - work was not completed
Issue 8 - fictitious reason for work not being completed - because the 'Customer Declined Work'.
Issue 9 - wrong issue diagnosis provided
Issue 10 - no follow up/status update on work being done - 4PM and no one available to provide status.

And now here I am spending way to much time writing a letter to BMW because I like to believe somewhere someone at your company is actually reading this and is going to act on making positive changes to the way you service your customers.

I know when I go to a BMW service center that I am paying a premium. I would expect with that premium would be a higher level of customer service. Without it… you're just a garage, in which case I can go to any garage for cheaper.
When asked if I would recommend BMW to my friends and family I had to laugh. If my friends/family asked I'd probably post this story as a blog and share it with them.

I really do hope someone reads this and takes it seriously. Some of the items listed may seem trivial, but when compounded with the other missteps it's just a bad customer experience.

Sincerely,
Appreciate 0