04-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #61
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I guess the Bugatti Veron is low on torque, because it uses a DCT

That being said, the new Chiron now uses a planetary auto.
Didn't know that about the Chiron - figured it just carried the same one over from the Veyron. As I'm sure you know, the DCT used for the Veyron was specially designed for the application and cost prohibitive for a non-super-car. I know you were just being facetious though.

It seems to me that the real issue is scalability. As torque goes up, the planetary box scales better. The DCT and manual seem to require incrementally heavier, more costly components and materials at steeper rate than the planetary transmission does. Crossing over the 600ft-lb threshold seems to be the point where this really starts to show. As engine torque outputs climb higher and higher, especially now with hybrid assist becoming more and more common, it is easy to see we are coming to the end of the line for the DCT and manual transmissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
Which transmission is planned for the F90 M5 with the S63B44T4?
It will almost surely be the ZF8.

I don't have any problem with BMW M switching from DCT to planetary transmissions as long as they maintain lighting quick, neck snapppng shifts. Audi is moving away from DCTs as well and Mercedes only uses them in the AMG GT and in their transverse platform.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18114.50