04-18-2019, 11:19 AM   #4
Pilot-Z
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphill View Post
I just went through this same decision and then cancelled within the full-refund window. My main reasons were:

1) Like you I won't drive the car that much, so for me it is really an extension in time. I have a 2008 M3 with only 45k on it, and I am likely to drive this car even less because I now have kids. For me this is likely an 8-year ~30k mile warranty.

2) I spoke to an independent mechanic I have used for decades, and he has not heard of any systemic problems with this engine. Anything can happen, but this does not appear to be a case of a car with a known issue as mileage increases.

3) I don't drive the car hard when it is cold, and I won't have it on the track. I change the oil every 6k miles with factory oil.

4) I have a 6 speed, not a DCT

5) The extended warranty has significant restrictions. Within 25 miles they can force you to use the dealer service (vs. my independent). It does not cover exhaust, clutch, shocks, bushings, brakes, etc.... It is largely a warranty for engine/transmission/diff/engine management electronics. Of those only the engine would greatly exceed the cost of the warranty (the others might exceed it, but not by so much, and none are likely with the mileage I expect).

There's no definitive answer to this for everyone, and I think if there was an indication that at high mileage this was an incredibly expensive car it would be a different story (e.g. e60 M5). For my use and from what I can find out about the warranty and car it didn't seem to be worth it.
Thanks for the response. I'm leaning towards cancelling it as well. Maybe I'll tell them I want to cancel and see if they would go a ways down on the price...
Appreciate 0