View Single Post
      03-16-2020, 05:17 PM   #134
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

It is about RFID signal and the thief plays the amplifier "relay" role. That's it.
Any keyless system use wireless, hence can be hacked.

The Comfort Access provides a certain ID for each key (a specific signal code beside the initial function) that is recognized by the car in order to provide a set of settings. From what I know, BMW security system cuts off the signal after a while.
There are cars out there stolen using the same technique and they are not BMW and they do not have Comfort Access.

The new keys seem to have a "sleeping mode' but the time from not using the fob until "sleep" might differ between manufacturers.
I heard about retrofitted keys or newer but you need to check with your dealer if your case.

As a note, make a box of a small aluminum tray if the key fob is close to house exit. Put it in there and you are set. You don't need any fancy pouch. Ideally move the key far from the entrance door or windows. I never get why people leave their home/car keys in a tray by the entrance. Any "trick or treat"/ "delivery guy", or visitor can grab a key. That is plain stupid. How hard is to keep them in a drawer somewhere in the middle of the house?
Actually, Europe is concrete and bricks (hard to transmit), and from that point of view it is easier to steal from a North American house (signal travels easy) than a European one. Just don't keep the keys by the door.
A metal steering wheel lock (club) was also a good deterrent for many thieves. In Europe I always had one.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16569.50