Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
It's true I only have different brakepads and fluid(Pagid RS29) and nothing else. Car does not feel so much like a pig and understeer is far away vs E90 M3.

Oversteer on the other hand is everywhere

But each to their own. I just love a smaller more nimble and agile car in general(vs more HP)

But E90 M3 vs F82 M4. 100% M4. S55 is godlike.

Cheers
Robin
Quote:
Originally Posted by redux View Post
You're right, camber plates are a must for track work. The stock 1m was a great 8/10th's car. That short wheelbase makes it easy to play around with the opposite lock at that pace. Driving the car at 10/10 on the stock tires takes amount of concentration and talent that I could only pull off for about 5 laps before it would get the best of me. However, the unreasonable amount of driver input required to make the thing go fast is what makes it fun. If you're doing it wrong will understeer, if you're right it will understeer; both examples may led to a catastrophic amount of oversteer. My E90 M3 was far easier to manage during a 30 minute session, even more so with aftermarket pad and SS brake lines. Less torque and a longer wheelbase made for an easier drive

Guys, I was simply surprised when some of you mentioned tracking any BMW basically (other than a CSL or GTS) without camber plates. In my experience the front strut design requires more camber than available in stock form, otherwise you will destroy/cord the outer edge of the tire. Camber plates not only have the beneficial effect of reducing understeer, but they save your front tires so you don't have to buy so many of them.

BMW has gotten better over the years, generally, with front suspension geometry. Last year I took the F80 on track for the first time (with Pagids) and I was surprised at how well it did on stock everything else. It did chew more through the outer tire edge but not catastrophically so, and I'm waiting to see what it will do with some track rubber tomorrow.

It may still need a camber plate though. And I'd be surprised if the M2 didn't follow exactly in the same footsteps, given how much of the M3 suspension hardware it has...
Interestingly the recommended/std camber on the M4 GTS is just -1 deg 45'

I thought anywhere around -2.5 to -3.5 deg camber was a typical track day setting
Appreciate 0