redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
Rep
Drives: Bwm and such

Garage List
2011 1M  [9.35]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
There is no stock BMW I have driven so far which has adequate brake pads for track use. On all the BMWs I've had so far I had to use racing pads. I am convinced the 1M is no different.

I had an E90 M3 for 6 years. To prep it for track, all I did was install GC camber plates and use Pagid RS19 on track. That's it, and it was a very good track car. Heavy, yes, but balanced and no understeer.

Are you going to try to convince me that the 1M, stock, was fully adequate for track? I see them at my local events, all of them have camber plates and pads at a minimum, many also have coilovers.
You're right, camber plates are a must for track work. The stock 1m was a great 8/10th's car. That short wheelbase makes it easy to play around with the opposite lock at that pace. Driving the car at 10/10 on the stock tires takes amount of concentration and talent that I could only pull off for about 5 laps before it would get the best of me. However, the unreasonable amount of driver input required to make the thing go fast is what makes it fun. If you're doing it wrong will understeer, if you're right it will understeer; both examples may led to a catastrophic amount of oversteer. My E90 M3 was far easier to manage during a 30 minute session, even more so with aftermarket pad and SS brake lines. Less torque and a longer wheelbase made for an easier drive
Appreciate 0