Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Malakas

As I was told by the AWE technician, the problem with fitting to the M2C did not lie primarily with lengthwise modification. Rather, he felt the problem lies with the width of the exhaust.

The Track system is essentially an ‘axle-back’ muffler delete, with a rigid strut between downpipes – replacing the structure of the muffler. The AWE technician felt the strut would not fit the M2C, and modifying the strut might be possible, but difficult and of unknown impact on the integrity of the system.

The SwitchPath is a complete muffler system. In BMWs, there seems to be a secondary cat system in the mid-pipes, so I believe it is most precise to call it a ‘primary cat-back’ exhaust. The Switchpath has a muffler and retains valve control, where as the Track is muffler delete that is all beast-mode, all the time. Both the Track and Switchpath options come with resonated and non-resonated options.
I had a GTR where I pulled all the resonators and cats off the downpipes/mid-pipes, and only had 2 small resonators in the rear section of the 4" titanium exhaust. It sounded amazing... it was, as you said, beast mode. I guess Im getting old, and when I stopped tracking the car and starting driving it more around town, I wish I had the option to shut it up once in a while (like driving by cops) or even STI's that wanted to run from a 60 roll.

I thought the 2 M buttons on the M2C seemed kind of silly, I mean there are not that many adjustments that you would need 2 presets... but then I realized there may be a hidden genius here. Figuring the stock exhaust was slapped on there from the M3/M4 and most owners would change it out anyway... then the 2 steering wheel buttons would allow a quick change of valve modes on the exhaust (provided one was efficient mode and one was sport)... which would be great for late nate arrivals in the neighborhood, or when you need to silence it up...

This is why I'd like the sound of the straight through exhaust sometimes, and others I'd like to have the resonators to be available.

Sadly you can never really appreciate the acoustics of an exhaust on youtube... and its hard to meet up with local people who have different pieces to compare. AA mid pipe does seem to have a benefit by mixing the banks to improve the raspy sound. Beyond that... who knows what rear sounds the best... seems like a crap shoot. I would give AWE my business on the switchpath but it seems that's not an option. Im going to shoot an email to Kline and see about their inconel exhaust... otherwise its Remus or Akrapovic I guess.
2012 - 5.2L R8 v10, 6MT
2011 - 4.0L E92 M3, 6MT
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50