01-29-2020, 01:08 AM   #31
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Their website still currently allows 'customization,' maybe not as much as before, I haven't kept up much but my point was there are?/were capable of a certain level of customization.

I owned a Mini Cooper JCW before, loved that, it handled liked a Go-Kart and fitted anywhere. It's just I've moved on but you will never hear me badmouthing a Mini.
They were certainly capable of a "certain level of customization". However, the fact that they've consolidated their option packages so significantly means (to me, at least), that it wasn't cost/revenue effective enough to continue to do so-- they ditched the "infinite customization" and went back to the model that the majority of auto manufacturer's use.

As to the Mini JCW-- I was looking at a Countryman-- which was essentially a detuned 1 Series BMW with different body panels and (yay!) a manual transmission.

Sadly, the MT went away a year or so ago, and along with it went my interest.

Realistically, the JCW (at least on the Countryman) was mostly a marketing strategy-- to get respectable power out of the (detuned) 1-Series motor, you had to chip the car at a minimum and/or get creative with bolt-on's-- which added expense onto a car that was already quite pricy out of the box for what you got.

R.
Appreciate 0