View Single Post
      10-05-2019, 09:02 PM   #1
Tiss'er
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LBB LCI

Test drove a few competitors today

I drove a 2018 718 Cayman S. This was pretty well loaded except for the seats which were the standard non-electric versions. It had PASM, sport chrono, carerra wheels, PDK and a few other goodies. I was allowed to test this alone (my dad was a passenger) and the car had 13k miles so it was broken in.

Let me start by saying that this is what I would consider my attainable dream car. I currently have a 2018 M2 which I absolutely love, but after all of the reviews I have read and the fact that it is a Porsche, I felt this was my next car. I like small cars that are nimble to work in our super tight canyons.

First thing I noticed was the crazy amount of buffeting with the windows down. I love driving with the windows down and 5 minutes into it my ears began to hurt. I actually enjoyed the sound of the motor at higher revs but even with the windows up I can tell it would wear on me over time. I didn't like climate controls, they are not intuitive or easy to reach. I know the PDK is supposed to be the tranny, but I prefer the DCT in the M2. When backing up, the rear camera is terrible. It is very difficult to get perspective. The M2 camera works very well. Once backed into the final parking space between 2 cars, getting out was very challenging.

So after all of that I felt a bit let down. Sure, the car handles better than the M2, but it didn't feel hugely different. I tend to do 11-12 hour extended canyon drives and not sure I can deal with the Cayman. I was crushed really.

To be fair, I did drive a 2017 Alfa Gulia QV before the Cayman. The QV has 7600 miles and was pretty much the standard spec which is really very good for the money. The infotainment is lacking but the seats are amazing, the steering wheel feels nice though I prefer the M wheel. This car really has a split personality. In comfort mode, the car rides exceptionally well over rough pavement. It is smooth an quiet. My dad was pleased. Smash the loud pedal however, and everything changes. The car makes some great noises, inside and out of the car. I like the sound better than the M2 honestly. The traction control is great where I find the M2 to be a bit too intrusive. The QV corners so well and the 12:1 steering ratio is something I really like. It also felt much smaller than the actual dimensions would suggest. The QV is just planted. Not to mention it is beautiful from all angles. It is missing the LED light tech of the M2 and the tech in general is dated. However I find the interior to be well put together and I think it will age well. The Cayman has a rattle on the driver side door where the QV was silent. I know the reliability issues that come with an Alfa, but much of it comes down to a poorly charged battery and low voltage. QVs are pretty rare here in Phoenix though the 2.0L version is more popular.

I don't know what it was, but I just felt a connection with the QV. It felt alive in a sense. I think I will be spending more time researching this beauty.
Appreciate 4
bi0hazard133.00
x233284.00
boostm3683.00
Got f1?681.00