View Single Post
      09-29-2014, 07:36 AM   #204
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Artemis, I'm not here to rain on your parade, because I'm a believer too.

But there might be a couple of holes in your theory, first, how do you categorize the 1M as exceeding all expectations from a commercial point of view? The vehicle was built in very limited numbers, which inter alia creates its own demand. Had it been available as an unlimited production run, who knows.

So, yes they all sold, but did they get a return on investment, considering the very limited run, I'm not sure.

Secondly, the other German manufactures aren't going to let BMW have the pitch all to themselves this time, they are all preparing new vehicles for this category, VW with the R400, Audi with the new RS3 and AMG with the A45 Black.

I suggest you are correct when you say they have gold on their hands with the incoming M2, and I hope its as good as we all want it to be, but the other vehicles in this category will also be gold to their fans.

I'm just saying.
I think recently, the competition in the M3/4 category has gotten really really strong. When you pick any of those cars, whether MB or Audi (not so much Lexus IMHO), you are getting some pretty amazing cars. For me personally though, if it can't be had with a manual, I'm not interested, so that rules out of a lot of cars.

The next big segment is going to be the 2er, CLA and RS3. BMW has a HUGE advantage here (that it doesn't have in the other segment). It's the only one RWD, will most likely be one of the lighter cars and best of all, is available in MT which the others usually are not.

As Jeremy Clarkson said: Straight six in the front, manual gearbox in the middle and drive going to the rear. Page 1, chapter 1 of the petrosexual handbook.

For me, I won't be looking anywhere else but at BMW for this segment
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1