12-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #26
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
The reality is most don't have the skill or opportunity to even fully utilize a 230i to its potential so for the vast majority of people an M car is overkill. Of course few will let skill and opportunity to use the potential of the car get in the way of their buying decisions. When we fall in love with a car we do so for many reasons. Looks, the cars potential performance (yes the driver is the real variable) and our history with cars. Nobody needs an M car, nobody needs a BMW for that matter but we only live once so if an M car does it for you and you can make it happen without having to skip meals then go for it.

The track is one of the few places where you can explore the real capabilities of your own driving skill and the potential of the car. I have seen people have a blast in cars that cost 1/10th of what I paid for my M2 and I have embarrassed drivers of cars that should be far faster than mine as well as being embarrassed by the opposite scenario. If you really want to get the most of a car don't buy the best car get the best training and use the rest of the money on the car not the other way around.
Very well put! Could not agree more on the best training. Learning to drive well is very rewarding no matter which car you drive.

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0