View Single Post
      08-27-2014, 12:23 AM   #128
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
This is interesting, because I went and drove a Mustang GT when I was shopping an M235i vs M3 vs whatever else I could find. The reason I shopped the GT against the M235i (despite the difference specified performance) is because the V6 Mustang chassis was so soft. The GT is better, but it still feels like a bigger car. I think part of it has to do with the ridiculous steering wheel you get in the GT. I need to go drive one of the 2015 EcoBoost models with the track goodies. Although, honestly, if it's comparable with the M235i, I'd just get the M235i, because the interiors in the Mustang really turn me off. I do not dig the retro thing at all. They dialed it back (wisely) in the 2015, but the interior aesthetic is still decidedly retro.

This is probably the most prescient thing you said, as far as my interests are concerned:

"Coincidentally, the 135is/235is (BMW's) are not about HP, but about how the car functions and handles... that is why many of us are waiting for that refined feel in the M2, and how it corners, as thrust is secondary concern."

That is exactly why I ended up getting an M3 instead of going with the Mustang GT. I loved the V8 sound in the GT, but the chassis just wasn't there. Yes, I know that the GT is very competent when it comes to putting down lap times, but how it feels is more important to me, because I rarely ever need to "put down lap times".

I'll definitely be cross-shopping the M2 against everything and anything. If I can afford it, I'll cross-shop it. if the M2 ends up being a bargain, and it delivers the handling I'm looking for, then great. I'm not putting up any artificial barriers to my prospective list though. Even the Mustang 2.3 EB will be on my list of cars to drive, but I'm not optimistic given its increased size and my history with let downs in the feel department.

Yeah, but if the M2 is not decidedly special... thru engineering, then there is no point over a 235is. Other than marketing.

It comes down to the ride & handling, when cross-shopping though. I think the new Mustang will compete.
Appreciate 0